Monday, February 14, 2011

17 hours 9 mins and 4 seconds

Most people would probably think I am crazy, driving from Singapore to Bangkok and being on the road for 17 hours, 9 mins and 4 seconds, but I had a great time.  
It made have alone time with myself, I had the chance of thinking alot about my life and it gave me a sense of piece.

The roads in Malaysia and Thailand are good.  I only wish I could take stop and take pictures, if I wasn't in a rush.

There are stretches in Thailand that have potholes and some very uneven roads, but 95% on the way was smooth.   Most of the road journey in Thailand are two lanes and some stretches have three lanes, but look out for the buses and trucks, some don't signal when they want to take over.

The border with Malaysia and Thailand.  This was my biggest worry because I wasn't sure what to expect.
So when you reach the Malaysian side of the border, its much the same like coming in from Singapore, hand-in your passport and white card.  Immigration chop your passport and off you go.
Then it gets crazy.

After Immigration there is a huge building that sells Duty Free, and a massive carpark with it.  Go in only if you want to buy Duty Free, they don't seem to have any Thai Immigration cards and I couldn't find the booth for Insurance.  The lady I asked at the booth at the entrance said to buy insurance, I had to wait for 9 working days.

After you leave the Duty Free complex, the next thing you see in the distance is the Thai Immigration.  As soon as you come to it, make a sharp left into a Carpark, don't join the queue.
Park your card, get out and go to the Immigration area.  Get your Entry/Departure card, fill it up and then proceed to get your passport chopped.  Then go to Custom Booth Number 3, and with your passport and Log Card, present it.  

After the form is prepared, go to the next window to your left and present it to a custom officer and he will sign and chop it, then you are done.

Go back to your car, drive to the line and when you pass show the paper that was chop and off you go.

Tip: give the Passport and Custom Booth 3 staff a tip.  I gave RM$5 buck each.  Thank you Adrianli (http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showuser=2654) for the tip.

Plenty petrol stations along the way, but as Adrianli pointed out, they sometimes run out of petrol, so know your car well.

I stayed a night in Hai Yat and left 6:30am this morning (14th Feb Y2011) for Bangkok.

Details here:

The journey (visual reference): (zoom out)

The Drive - Singapore To Bangkok uses MotionX-GPS on the iPhone and is sharing with you the following track:

The Drive - Singapore to Bangkok

Name:Track 003
Date:Feb 13, 2011 9:24 am
Map: 
(valid until Aug 13, 2011)
View on Map
Distance:1,867 kilometers
Elapsed Time:17:09:04
Avg Speed:108.9 km/h
Max Speed:234.9 km/h
Avg Pace:00' 33" per km
Min Altitude:0 m
Max Altitude:312 m
Start Time:2011-02-13T02:24:08Z
Start Location: 
 Latitude:1º 17.8788' N
 Longitude:103º 50.9815' E
End Location: 
 Latitude:13º 44.4655' N
 Longitude:100º 32.5261' E

Pictures:

Novotel Hai Yat

Video: View of City from the room

Some pictures along the way:

I guess you can transport almost anything.

A bull? at the back of the Truck

Convert your lorry into a bus:

Saw this Giant Bird:

Stickers with purchase from 7-11:

No comments:

Post a Comment